Head of department:
Department of Economics, GJC at present consists of three (3) Associate Professors and two (2) Assistant Professors out of whom two of them are pursuing Ph.D. All faculty members are highly experienced and dedicated academicians. The students of the Department are mostly sincere and hardworking even though they are mainly from rural areas, from low and middle income group. The subject is preferred equally both by the genders.
Activities of the Department w.e.f 2014 till date
1. Two - Day Entreprenuership Awareness Camp was conducted on 24th and 25th April 2014 . Resource persons shared their success stories which really inspired the students to have entreprenuerial spirit.
2. One-month Course on ESDP ( Entreprenuership and skill development programme) conducted for Economics students during 1st - 30th June 2015 in which resource persons were from Mizoram Entreprenuership Network.
3. Students of V semester under the guidance of Sir Hunpuiliana took on to Excursion at Buannel, Myanmar to acquaint themselves with the flora and fauna of Buannel during 26th – 30th May 2015
4. Campus Tour cum Special Talk on Indian Economy was attended at MZU by core students on 15th March 2015 under the guidance of Mr. Samuel J. Laltlanzaua & Mrs Lalmalsawmi Renthlei
5. Talk on Public Finance was conducted on 5thOctober 2016 for Core Students and resource person was from Department of Accounts & Treasuries , Govt of Mizoram
6. Study Tour to Gauhaty was conducted during March 2016 under the guidance of Mrs Zohmangaihi Department of Political Science
7. Students Exchange Programme was conducted on 19th October 2016 with Govt. T. Romana College. Presentation on selected topic was done from our students that was followed by interactions among the students of the two colleges.
8. Study Tour to Shillong was conducted under the guidance of SU Leaders during 20th -24th February March 2017
9. Consumer Awareness Programme was held on 11th April 2017. Resource persons were invited from Mizoram Consumers’ Union and also from the faculty to spread consumer awareness among the students.
10. Zoram Kailawn programme held at Aizawl West College was attended by core students alongwith Mrs Sailo lallianpuii Associate Professor on 11th August 2017
11. Department Quiz was conducted for 3rd and 5th Semester students on 10th September 2017; Mr Samuel J. Laltlanzaua, Assistant Professor was the Quiz Master
12. World Investors’ Week i.e 2nd – 8th October was observed in the college on 6th October 2017 in collaboration with Mizoram Consumers’ Union ( MCU) under the aegis of SEBI ( Securities and Exchange Board of India)
13. Two day Entreprenuership Awareness Camp attended by two students held at MFPRTC, Seling Mizoram organised by Mizoram Entrprenuership Network on 11th & 13th October 2017
14. Few students of 6th Semester alongwith Miss Sailo Lallianpuii attended Conference on NEDP at Aijal Club on 9th March 2018
15. Study Tour to Sikkim was conducted for the core students under the guidance of Mr Samuel J. Laltlanzaua during 15th – 21st March 2018
16. New Economic Development Programme ( NEDP) organised by MZU at the campus was attended by core students on 22nd April 2018
17. Mizoram Economic Conclave 2018 held at Aijal Club on 6th April 2018 was attended by few students alongwith Mr R. Lalhmingthanga, Associate Professor
18. Report Presentation on Study Tour Sikkim was conducted for the students on 18th April 2018.
19. Legal Awareness Programme was held on 16th February, 2018 for the core students; resource persons were from the Mizoram Law College on the topic ‘POCSO Act’
20. Remedial classes for students with back papers were conducted during March 2018
21. Extension programme was held on 19th April 2018 at Harmons Children Home Durtlang, where we donated gifts in-cash and in-kind.
22. Recreation programme was conducted on 23rd May 2018 for the core students at NextCom Recreation Centre.
23. Innovation Club was formed by the department on 10th August 2018 to take initiatives on inculcating innovative/ enterprenuerial skills among the students.
24. Training on Basic Accounting was organised for the Vth semester students on 16th August 2018.
25. Training on Soft Skills was organised for core students during 14th, 17th & 18th September 2018
26. Apart from these activities Department of Economics conducted Bridge Course for the I Semester students each year during the five years and also awarded Best Achiever among the final year students each year with a prize money of Rs 2500/- alongwith a placard.
27. Study Tour to Thenzawl ( 21-22nd March 2019 ) was conducted for the core students to study about Handloom Cluster in Thenzawl. 26 students alongwith Sir R. Lalhmingthanga and Miss Sailo Lallianpuii could participate in the tour.
28. Core students alongwith Miss Lalmalsawmi Renthlei participated in collection of data like questionnaire from handloom weavers of Zuangtui Handloom Cluster. Case study was done for the cluster in studying socio-economic conditions of the weavers.
29. Seminar on Design Thinking Skills for core students was organized by the Department on 16th August 2019 at the Seminar Hall, GJC. Resource person was Ms. Lalnunmawii Ralte, Assistant Professor, Incubation Centre, MZU
30. Two Day College Level Workshop on Skill Development for final year students was organized by the Department funded by RUSA during 24th & 25th October 2019. Resource persons were from Women Studies, MZU\
31. Faculty Exchange Programme with J.Thankima College was held on 19th February 2021 at our College.