ADOPTED VILLAGE MAUBUANG
The Research and Extension Cell of Govt. Johnson College in its meeting on 14th June, 2016, resolved to select one village as its Adopted Village for its Extension Programme. Among many villages surrounding Aizawl City the College decided to survey Maubuang Village. Maubuang is a village that is situated at a distance of 40 km south of Aizawl, on the National Highway. The Tropic of Cancer passes through near Maubuang Village and it enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year. It has a population of 747 with 479 adults (247 males and 323 females), and 268 children. Maubuang Village is an agricultural community 85.81% of the population engaged in agriculture and allied sectors.
The Research and Extension Cell visited Maubuang Village on 20th August, 2016, in order to elicit the views of the people. Discussions held with the local leaders were met with approval and appreciation. Thus, Maubuang was selected as the College Adopted Village due to the approval of the local people, the close proximity of distance and the overall convenience for the College faculty and students. It was decided by the Research and Extension Cell that the period of adoption would be for two years i.e. from August 2016 to August 2018.
The Inaugural Function of Maubuang as the College Adopted Village was held on the 30th August, 2016, at Awithangpa Hall, Maubuang, in which a good number of the local people, the College Principal, Faculty members, Student Union Members and NCC representatives graced the function. Thereafter, the Research and Extension Cell often visited the Village at their own convenience. During these visits efforts were made to establish good rapport with the Village Council members, YMA leaders (NGO), the Middle School teachers and the villagers. Discussions held with the various persons of Maubuang proved fruitful in locating the problems of the villagers.
The different activities held by the College in its Adopted Village Maubuang are as follows:
2016 – 2017
· NSS Day was observed at College Plantation Site Maubuang on 24th October, 2016
· Visit to Maubuang Middle School by the College Department of Education on 1st November, 2016.
· Observation of Green Mizoram Day at College Plantation Site, Maubuang by cleaning the plantation area on 9th June, 2017.
2017 – 2018
· Observation of Green Mizoram Day at College Plantation Site, Maubuang by cleaning the plantation area on 11th June, 2018.
· The College NSS Unit organized Social Work by clearing College Plantation Cite Maubuang on 19th August, 2017.
2018 – 2019
· The College NSS Unit organized Social Work at Maubuang Village on 11th January, 2019 by constructing one Public Urinal.
· The College NSS Unit organized Social Work at Maubuang Village on 18th April, 2019 by renovating Public Urinals.
2019 – 2020
· Free Medical Clinic at Maubuang Village (Adopted Village) by the Research & Extension Cell on 18th October, 2019. Five Doctors and five Medical Assistants catered to the medical needs of the 200 local people who came for Medical Check-Up. Free medicines were distributed by the College. On the same day the NSS Unit of the College organized Social Work at Maubuang Village by cleaning the College Plantation Site.
· The College NSS Unit organized Social Work at Maubuang Village on 5th March, 2020 by renovating Public Urinals.
· Aid in cash and kind was donated to Maubuang Village on 13th April, 2020 during the Covid 19 Pandemic Lockdown.
The Research and Extension Cell is presently conducting a Minor Project on Community Participation in Early Childhood Care and Education (on-going project). It may be noted that the meeting held by the Research and Extension Cell on 25th July 2019 resolved to extend the adoption of Muabuang Village for a period of 3 more years i.e. from August 2018 to August 2021. The Research and Extension Cell is presently conducting a Minor Project on Community Participation in Early Childhood Care and Education (on going project).